|The Greenville Public Library is a Carnegie building, opened in 1905. The library is a member of the Lewis & Clark Library system comprised of 150 members including public libraries, schools and colleges covering 8 counties. The LCLS provides technical support and inter-library loan services.
The public is welcome to attend the monthly meetings of the Greenville Public Library's Board of Trustees. Meetings are held at the library on the second Thursday of each month. Call for scheduled time.
Residents of Greenville may apply for a library card that is valid for 3 years. Those living outside the city limits may apply for a non-resident card issued annually for a fee.
The library is located one block southwest of the Greenville Square. It is just one block from IL Route 127.
The statue "Apollo of the Lyre" was purchased by the Ladies Library Association and presented to the new Greenville Public Library.
|In January of 1856 the Ladies Social Circle of Greenville met to form a group to promote the intellectual and moral elevation of society. For nearly fifty years this group raised funds to support a library. The first book purchased for the library's holdings was the Holy Bible. At first the library was housed in the librarian's home, then in rented rooms, and eventually in the courthouse.
In 1903 Mr. Andrew Carnegie was contacted for possible funds. His donation of $11,000 was used to construct a public library to be built on city-owned land and which was to be tax supported. The doors of he Greenville Public Library were opened in August of 1905. Architect Paul Moratz of Bloomington, Illinois designed the Classical Revival style structure.
The Greenville Public Library is on the National Register of Historic Places. The community takes pride in this historic structure that is a landmark building in town.
|Gale FirstSearch NoveList|
Greenville Public Library 414 W. Main Ave. Greenville, IL 62246
Phone 618-664-3115 Fax 618-664-9442